Message from the Headteacher 17.11.17
17th November 2017
Dear Parents & Carers,
It has been a very busy fortnight at Dr Thomlinson Church of England Middle School. On November 6th we entered two teams in the North East Regional round of the Litquiz at Gosforth Academy. Our two teams consisting of Finley; Ethan; Rachel; Megan; Bertie; Emma; Rhiannon and Amelie did very well in a competition involving over 50 teams yet just narrowly finished outside the top ten teams to go forward to the next stage of the competition.
During June 2016 a group of Year 6 children wholeheartedly involved themselves in the Make £5 Grow Challenge. They were rewarded for their hard work with a reward trip to Concordia Leisure Centre on Wednesday 8th November, 2017.
Well done to our students who took part in the Remembrance Day Service at All Saints Church, Rothbury on Sunday. Thank you to our House Captains who laid a wreath during the service on behalf of our school.
Well done to the Year 7 & 8 Rugby teams who took part in an Inter-School Rugby Competition on Wednesday, 15th November. Mr Heath was very impressed with the standard of both of the rugby teams. The Year 7 team won one; drew one and lost one whilst the Year 8 team beat all the teams they played.
On Wednesday, 15th November we had Judo Taster sessions for all our Year 5 and Year 6 students. The instructors were very impressed with the application of our students in the activities.
Judo means “the Gentle Way” so it was appropriate that the Judo sessions were part of Anti-Bullying Week. The school celebrated this important week in the school calendar by encouraging our students to wear odd socks to school and, through this, so celebrating the week’s message of “All Different, All Equal”. Thanks to all the students who took part.
Year 8 really enjoyed the Marine Engineering Workshop that all of Year 8 participated in on Wednesday, November 15th.
Friday – 17th November, 2017 was Children In Need Day and lots of our students planned and organised a whole range of activities to raise money for charity.
Fund Raising Activities:
· Guess the Weight of the Cake – well done to Amy (and Mrs Corbett) for making and donating cakes for this stall;
· Penalty Shoot-Out Competition – well done to Duncan for organising this;
· Stationary Sale Stall – thank you to Cerys; Lois and Lois;
· Granny Bingo – this competition was run and organised by Issie; Ellie; Nolan; Ben; Bertie and Lilly;
· Balloon Popping – thanks to Robert; Rachel; Robert; Ethan and Euan for this stall;
· Teachers in Stocks (& Headteachers as well…) – this was ably run by Anna & Tanaina;
· Coconut Shy – thank to Megan, Jacob, George and James for running this event;
· Ping Ball – thanks to Poppy, Hazel, Lily & Louisa for running this event;
· Lucky Dip – which was organised by 5H;
· Extreme Apple Bobbing – organised by 6M
Well done to everyone who contributed to the fund raising for Children In Need. Our school raised an impressive £541.75.
This very busy week was then completed by a Lantern Building Workshop for Year 5 on Friday morning. Year 5 were making giant lanterns in the shape of fish for the turning on off the Rothbury Christmas Lights in December.
TOP Awards – Week beginning 10th November, 2017
5T – Eleanor
5H – Calainia
6O – Amy
6M – Catalina
7L – Finlay
7I – Nolan
8N – Robert
8S – Sam
Mathemagician of the Week Award – Molly
TOP Awards – Week beginning 17th November, 2017
5T – Oliver
5H – Abby
6M – Murray
7L – Bella
7I – Bertie
8N – Eleanor
8S – Ben
Mathemagician of the Week Award – Hannah
Well done to all of these award winners.
Have a lovely weekend,